Work with the CHCS GIS Specialist and staff to develop maps illustrating community data. The GIS intern will primarily use ArcGIS and ArcOnline to develop maps. The intern will also gain experience gathering data necessary for the project. When needed, the intern may write reports or provide research support.
Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of Shapefile (.shp) and File GeoDatabase (.gdb) file formats
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially with Excel
- Experience working with ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) and cartographic production
- Strong written and oral communication, critical thinking, and time management skills
- Ability to work on a team, as well as independently with guidance
- Demonstrated experience creating and refining high quality maps and data products, with an accompanying portfolio highlighting previous work (preferred, but not required)
1.) Junior or Senior class standing (or Graduate level standing)
2.) Completion of two GIS classes or equivalent experience
3.) Portfolio highlighting previous work is preferred, but not required
Earn 3-6 academic internship credit hours with permission from a Geography faculty member or undergraduate advisor and the CHCS director. Work 10 – 20 hours weekly, depending on internship credit hours. For the summer internship up to 10 hours will be paid.
To Apply, send resume/portfolio to:
Kelly Suttles: email@example.com